Search engine optimization can be a very scary and confusing subject if you are not familiar with it! So in this post I want to share with you a few simple yet effective WordPress Website SEO Tips that you can start to implement today that will help your content rank higher in the search engines.
Also keep in mind that once you start to implement these strategies you just keep doing them every time you create a new post. Don’t give up and move on just because you are not getting instant results.
Why do I say this?
When I first started building niche sites and got into SEO I was implementing all the strategies that I was learning but I was not seeing results as fast as I thought, so I actually stopped building my niche sites and stopped doing any SEO at all because I thought I was wasting my time….
Then a couple months downs the road I started to get emails like “Congratulations, You Just Received A Commission”, “XYZ, Just Sent You $100 With Paypal” or “Amazon Associates Program sent you an Amazon.com Gift Card!”
So I went back and started to do some research on the keywords that I was targeting and found that what i had been doing did in fact work, I just did not have the patience to keep going.
One very important part to remember though…
Do not let your lack of SEO knowledge hold you back from creating valuable content and getting it up on your blog because whether or not all your blog posts are search engine optimized you can still learn how to promote a blog and drive a ton of traffic your way while you learn how to do seo of wordpress website.
WordPress Website Seo Tips – Getting Started Plus Free Tools
First thing’s first before you even start to write your post you are going to need to make sure that you have an SEO plugin installed on your site. I highly recommend using Yoast SEO For WordPress (see link and description below).
Once you have set up your SEO plugin the next step is to do some keyword research. This is very important because if you want traffic then you need to create content that people are searching for. You also want to make sure that you are researching the competition to see if you even stand a chance at ranking for your target keyword.
Here are some of my top wordpress website seo tips and tools that you are going to want to use to get started:
- Yoast Seo for WordPress – this is probably the best WordPress SEO plugin that exists today. It incorporates everything from a snippet editor and real time page analysis functionality that helps you optimize your pages content, images titles, meta descriptions and more to XML sitemaps, and loads of optimization options in between. The free version of Yoast works great and there is no reason to go with Yoast SEO Premium for most people.
- Google Keyword Planner – this is a free tool that you can use in order to find keywords that people are searching for.Basically when you are starting out with SEO you are going to want to stick with keywords that do not have to much search volume (low hanging fruit) because in most cases they also have less competition.
- MOZBar – this is another great free tool that you are going to use to see how much competition your specific keyword has. This is a Google Chrome extension so you will need google chrome in order to use it.So you are basically looking to stay below a PA of 30Sometime this can be a very time consuming task but so is creating content that you want to rank in the search engines and never having a chance in hell at ranking. With these 2 free tools you should be able to find some keywords that you want to target but it is not quite as effective as the next tool I am going to show you.
- KWFinder – this is a paid tool (with 5 free searches per monthl) that will help you find high quality, low competition keywords in your niche. You put your seed keyword into KWFinder and it will spit out relevant keywords and tell you the search volume, keyword difficulty, keyword trend, CPC and PPC information.
On Page WordPress SEO Tips
This is one of the most important wordpress website seo tips if you want a shot at getting ranked on google or other search engines. If you do not have this step down then the search engines will certainly not rank you for your target keyword. Keep in mind that if you have wordpress seo by Yoast installed it will give you WordPress Website SEO Tips to help you SEO your blog posts and pages.
- Target Keyword In Your Title – you need to make sure that whatever keyword you are trying to rank for is in your title. If at all possible put your keyword in the beginning of the title
- Target Keyword In Your URL – it is very important that your blog post’s url looks something like this www.yourdomain.com/target-keyword and not www.yourdomain.com/p=275. You can do this by simply editing the url right under your title when creating your post
- Target Keyword In Your H Tags – when you are writing your blog post be sure to break it down into sections with your H1, H2 and H3 tags and include your keyword in each of your tags. Note: This is not only for the search engines but it also makes for a more pleasant experience for your readers!
- Target Keyword Throughout Post – first of all you want to be sure that you are including your target keyword in the first 100 words of your post. Then you are going to want to litter your keyword naturally throughout with a keyword density of around 1-2%Also you want to BOLD, Italicize or Underline your keywords.
- Build Internal Links – want a great example of this just go to Wikipedia, they use internal links everywhere. I would not suggest going to the extreme that they do but internal links help your seo in a big way. Internal links can also help decrease your bounce rate because it will entice your visitors to click through to related topics. Plus it will also help you spread link juice throughout your site. And when Google’s spiders come to visit your site they can navigate around easier and have an easier time indexing all your content resulting in higher SERP rankings.
Off Page SEO WordPress Tips
Now what you’ve got your on page optimization done the next wordpress website seo tips are to start with your off page optimization. Off page optimization is especially important if you plan on competing for higher competition keywords.
Keep in mind I have money sites that I have managed to rank without any off page optimization and just proper on page optimization, but these were money sites that were designed in niches with very little competition.
Pingler – Once you get your blog post up the first thing you’re going to want to do is ping your blog. You can do this by going to a site like pingler.com or pingomatic.com. WordPress does have a built in system that pings but I always like to use Pingler as well.
By pinging your site you are basically yelling out to the search engines to let them know that you have new content on your blog. This will help your blog to get indexed in search engines a little faster. Keep in mind that it is not recommended to ping too often, I would not ping more than once every 3 days.
Social Media – The next thing you are going to want to do is make sure that you have social share buttons on your blog. The purpose of the social share buttons is not only to allow your visitors to share your content but for you to share your content as well. You can learn more about promoting your blog on social media here.
Here is a list of social media and social bookmarking sites that I recommend you submit your content to:
- Google +
This process can also be done automatically by creating a branded syndication network around your WordPress blog.
Backlinks – The next SEO blog tip I have for you is to start creating backlinks to your blog post. Building backlinks can be a very powerful method but at the same time it can destroy your rankings if not done properly. It is very important that you keep this process natural or at least make it seem natural in Google’s eyes. And do not be too aggressive with your backlinks. In fact I have some sites that rank very well just with the techniques I taught above, no backlinks at all.
Personally I would hold off on building any backlinks other than social links for at least a month. Keep track of your rankings and if they have become stagnant and not moving then the first thing you can do is start building your back-links manually. You can accomplish this by guest blogging on niche related sites, posting to niche related forums, document sharing sites, articles submission sites, private blog networks, or finding blogs in your niche and commenting on them.
**Note** Keep in mind, do not to build backlinks too fast on a newer post and/or blog, because that is really un-natural.
If your post aren’t climbing after a little time the next thing you can do is use a backlink service. I have personally never had to go this route but you can find people on fiverr.com who will build backlinks to your site for fairly cheap. But keep in mind when using fiverr you need to use extreme caution because there are lot of people whom build low quality back-links to your blog. Also make sure that that they plan on building backlinks in a natural manner.
Did This Help You? If so, I would greatly appreciate it if you commented below and shared on Facebook
Chris Barmby’s Blog